Broken Mirrors


I sat before you; my heart lain bare

But you were already gone, with an assurance so rare

He was all the best you could see for you

That surety in your eyes I couldn’t argue



I had to come to grips, with a never-together life with you

And I cursed myself for ever thinking Your class was my due

And it took never-ending dusks, nights and sunrises

To be one with you off the face of my dices



Now there’s a call but I’m so scared to heed

Scared it may come again that I’d not be of need

Scared that I’d only be playing fill-in

Scared that it’d be love without meaning



I built these walls with sands of lost times and pails of tears

Molded them with arms that carried and threw back years

Never to be broken again; at least not for cheap

Way too tight even for Queens’ to get through a peep



Then I think these timeless truths so not to settle for less

That you wouldn’t be here had he to you said a yes

That I never would count had he treated you like I did

That I mayn’t for loneliness squirm to you as sordid



I ken my life looked better with you

I ken it’s a close-to-useless toil to hide my feelings true

But me, these winding paths have uniquely hurt and bruised

To me, they are reminders of high seas I sunk in when I cruised



So better safe than sorry

Better peaceful than uncharted glory

Face it, it’s with him you’d want to go extremes
Face it, I’m but convenience only when it seems

~ Chibele
 

Comments