The List

My Search For The Perfect Amongst The Imperfect


He peeked through my heart to see the sheet
That told of all I wanted that he'd have to meet
Eyes and smiles to make my heart skip a beat
A knight prim and proper; a man so smooth and neat

One with a dashy sense of air and a hair blue
And a little drip off his neck from my favorite shampoo
A fun dude locked in a swimmer's and a heart of love true
One made out as of a portrait; a dream, a deja vu

So there came Lebron, dunking so nicely but was always out of reach
Then 'Hova missed out; with everything but a lip beneath my tag "peach"
Wolverine fell to my Muramasa; Flash's feet made this weird screech
Archilles but for his heel, would've been my perfect niche

And so I searched forever only to never find
One to never leave my fragile heart behind
One to love me with all my scars as though blind
A soul I'd pour myself into and he would not mind

But thought, a dream and a list was it all it'd seemed on my screen
For such the man was also often annoying but one I'd often seen
In my shadows all these years and times had he been
He'd been my best friend; the one who's best knew me since I was a teen

So I'd begin to check and uncheck my list to fit him in
Then I saw "Special" was the only cool thing he'd been
He was nothing like the imagery created from my list
But doubtless, he was the one the crown best fit

Lists! We make lists to decide what we'd want to be offered
A symmetry of walking into a diner with our own menu
The heart's got one for itself too sometimes; and most times,
It is one that defeats our entire appetite
So I guess I should only take a seat and acknowledge the cutlery -
My principles
And await the Greater Chef and Destiny to pick out for me my rewarding taste
Of True Love
Patiently my Knight finds me, and I find him - and my joy is filled!

~ Chibele

Comments

Post a Comment